Micah’s Place is looking for the right candidates to join our emergency shelter team. We are looking for a flexible Shelter Advocate. This position will work different shifts weekly (days, nights, or weekends) to provide coverage at our 24-hour emergency shelter.
The Shelter Advocate will provide supportive, trauma-informed and survivor – directed advocacy services for domestic violence survivors in Micah’s Place’s Emergency Shelter program.
Utilizing best practice models, Advocates facilitate individual support services with participants to include but not limited to the intake process, answering crisis calls on the hotline, domestic violence crisis counseling, service or case management, file reviews, proper timely documentation, and facilitation of support groups.
Advocates also have cleaning and organizing duties in order to maintain the health and safety of the shelter at all times.
Candidates must exhibit a positive, non-judgmental approach to survivors. In addition, candidate must have the ability to demonstrate a clear understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence, forming proper boundaries, and use of good judgment.
All employees are required to have flexibility as needed to meet the needs of the agency. Schedules may be subject to change with proper notice.
- Experience working with individuals in a crisis setting
- Familiarity with local resources and agencies.
- Degree in Human/ Social Services related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Two years of work experience in human services can substitute degree requirement.
- The shelter operates 24/7 – flexibility, weekends, and holidays are required.
- Interest in and commitment to Micah’s Place mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills to include Microsoft Office and database entry
- Must be able to maintain the health and safety of all facilities while on shift.
- Must be able to twist, bend, stoop, lift up to 25lbs.
- Must pass a DCF Level 2 background check or qualify for a Level 2 Background exemption, have reliable transportation, and a valid state driver’s license with a clean motor vehicle record.
- Upon hiring, must pass CORE Competency Training for Domestic Violence, successfully obtain Victims Compensation and Address confidentiality applicant assistance certifications from the Office of the Attorney General, and document 16 hours of approved continuing education annually.
This Agency is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status.
Please submit resumes and cover letter with salary requirements via this form.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary – $38,000 – $42,000
- 160 Hours of Paid Time Off to start (20 – 8 hour days) increases at year 5 and year 10
- 100% company provided dental
- 100% company provided Vision
- 100% company provided Teladoc (includes mental health)
- Company provides $465/month to employee medical insurance. Base plan is $111/month for employee.