Economic Empowerment Advocate
Position Summary [Purpose and Scope]: This position provides direct services to victims of domestic violence to assist them in gaining financial literacy and employability skills as well as obtaining training and employment assistance services. Maintain accurate and timely documentation in accordance with grant and agency requirements.
The position is with Micah’s Place, Inc, a state certified Domestic Violence agency. Full time position, 40 hours a week with 4-10 hours shifts varying between 8am-6pm or 10am-8pm with flexibility to cover other shifts as needed. This position will work in our shelter and our outreach offices.
Benefits: Benefits will be provided to this position which will consist of; 87% company paid Health Insurance (currently $57.95/month for base plan, 100 % company paid Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance after 1st 30-day calendar month. Employees have the option to purchase dependent health insurance coverage. All full-time staff receives 10 paid Holidays. All full-time staff will accrue PTO per pay period based on numbers of years of employment starting at 14 days for the first year.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial empowerment and literacy services.
- Develop and manage training curriculum for program participants
- Keep up-to-date resource guide
- Provide agency wide information on open career opportunities
- Provide direct crisis intervention services to victims of domestic and document service management and referrals accurately, in accordance with grant & agency requirements
- Provide telephone crisis counseling to victims of domestic violence via the Hotline
- Provides emergency legal advocacy, criminal justice support, assistance with restraining orders, injunctions, and other protective orders.
- Develop and manage service plan for each participant
- Assist with filing for compensation claims which includes advising victims of the availability of crime victim compensation, assist in completing required forms; gathering needed documentation; etc.
- Recruit community partners for program
- Participate in trainings to meet continuing education and certification requirements
- Provide monthly narratives and data for grant
- Keep DV Services Director apprised of activities, informally and by written word
- Must be able to maintain the health and safety of all facilities while on shift
- Perform other duties as necessary or assigned
Education or Equivalent: Bachelor’s Degree in human resources, education, social work, or related field preferred; related work experience may be substituted for education.
Knowledge/Skills Requirements: Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, public speaking skills, organizational skills, and computer skills. Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques and related community resources. Commitment to domestic violence doctrines. Must pass a Level 2 criminal background check, be eligible to work in the U.S., have reliable transportation and a valid Florida driver’s license. Upon hiring: must pass CORE Competency Training for Domestic Violence; successfully obtain Victims Compensation and Address confidentiality applicant assistance certifications from the Office of the Attorney General; and document 16 hours of approved continuing education annually
Physical Requirements: Must be physically mobile and able to sit, stand, bend freely, stoop, reach overhead, sit or be on feet for extend periods of time and lift 30 pounds. Must be able to converse on a telephone and use a keyboard effectively.
Agency Requirements: All Employees of Micah’s Place are expected to demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity and equality; professional ethics and standards; flexibility and teamwork; and protection of confidentiality.
Compensation: Will be commensurate with education and experience
Relocation Expense: Micah’s Place does not provide relocation expenses.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Micah’s Place is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, national origin, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other protected category.